The grace of Ramadan

Kuala Lumpur - While I was taking a much-needed break from the revels of the Malaysia Tatler ball recently, Datin Paduka Jamaiyah Daud, resplendent in turquoise satin, came up to me.

She whispered to me, gently inquiring if I would like to sponsor the supply of mineral water, direct from the factory, to far-flung mosques for Muslims performing the Tarawih prayers during the month of Ramadan. “I will arrange everything, from purchase to delivery, my dear,” she added.

How could I refuse such a loveable lady offering me the chance to make such an honourable gesture? The former diplomat`s wife that she is, she has, indeed, taken care of everything, right down to collecting my cheque. But most importantly, she was gracious enough to offer yours truly a great opportunity to perform a charitable act as a Muslim.

That`s the beauty of our high society, I thought. They live life well, facing with aplomb everything from challenges to the many celebrations, whether it involves retail designer dresses or, in this case, a factory-direct basic beverage.

Contrary to what many might think, high society life is not all about the ringgit and sen; it is also about the ability to embrace life with all its beauty and flaws and then spread joy by caring about making a difference, regardless of how small. I believe this is a quality that many people beyond those circles overlook, carelessly branding such lifestyles as excessive and self-indulgent.

My uztaz from my Malay College days once said to me that during Ramadan, all evils are kept under lock and key behind the gates of Hades, thus leaving humankind to revel and rebel on our own accord. Yes, that meant that my childish alibi, “the Devil made me do it”, does not apply during these 30-odd days.

In this time, the Almighty opens the floodgates of Heaven for us to do our spiritual best when all good deeds – by His blessings – are greatly amplified and magnified. That is, I believe, one of the most beautiful aspects of Islam.

Such beauty was what I observed when I visited Negri Sembilan for a very special buka puasa event.

I was recently invited to the royal town of Seri Menanti in that state, where, according to Tunku Munirah Tunku Mustapha, the annual congregation of the royal house is held.

Hosted by the Regent of Negri Sembilan, Tunku Naquiyuddin Tuanku Ja`afar, and his gracious wife, Tunku Nurul Hayati, it was a family affair steeped in religious reverence, dignity and cultural beauty reflective of the Pagaruyung Dynasty.

“Our cousins and relatives – some flying in from Dubai and other places abroad – come together on the 20th day of every Ramadan to break fast and perform our prayers while catching up with each other,” said the princess. “This tradition has been held for as long as I can remember.”

Witnessing the carefree camaraderie and jovial banter among the family members, state officials and members of the public that ensued until late, I felt a lump in my throat at this magnificent display of family unity and love.

On a smaller but equally profound scale closer to home, I salute the efforts of Ipoh boy-done-good Datuk Sufian Majid to show his filial love by completing his second surau in Rawang, Selangor, in honour of his beloved mother-in-law, the late Datin Mariam Ismail. (His first surau, situated in Morib, Selangor, was dedicated to his late father.)

“I have known him for yonks and he is the most humble and positive individual – totally comfortable in his skin,” said Sufian`s golfing buddy, Datuk Shalimin, as we battled over the last keropok at the recent RHB corporate buka puasa.

On a more solemn note, Tarawih prayers, in all their spiritual significance, bring together this city`s high society faster than any grand ball invite could. When my cousins and I arrived for prayers at Masjid Wilayah recently, we saw a sea of stretch limos and S-classes.

“It has been like this every night,” beamed chauffer Pakcik Samad as we prayed next to each other. “In the House of God, we are all equals, we are all His humble subjects.”

His point became clearer when everyone, from Datuks to drivers, salam and warmly embraced each other on their way out. As the Hari Baik, Bulan Baik (Good Day, Good Month) reaches it celebrated end, I`ve come to realise that amidst the revelry and celebrations of KL`s high society, there is always a time and place for deep reflection and sobriety.

Let us pray that all the benefits and bounty we have derived from this Good Month will bless the next 12 months as well. Selamat Hari Raya Aifil Fitri!

Source: thestar.com.my (9 Oktober 2007)
-

Arsip Blog

Recent Posts