Sohaimi Mior Hassan makes a comeback to the music scene with another heartfelt wonder

Malaysia - After almost 25 years of staying out of the music industry and the public eye, singer-songwriter Sohaimi Mior Hassan had the urge to record a new album earlier this year. And within a couple of months, Sohaimi had recorded his fourth album, Suatu Hari Nanti. His third, Misteri Cinta, was released way back in 1984.

Sohaimi was discovered in the early 1980s and became an instant hit with his song, Epilog Cinta Dari Bromley. The ballad is still popular today. In a recent interview, Sohaimi related one of the reasons that prompted his return to the music scene.

“I asked some of my friends recently what songs they karaoke to and they said, ‘Old songs like Epilog Cinta Dari Bromley‘. But they didn‘t know who the singer was. So I had to tell them that I wrote and sang that song (laughs). Then I thought it‘s probably time to do another album since people don‘t know my name anymore.”

Sohaimi, however, remains a well-known figure among local artistes and songwriters. Even though the telecommunications engineer has been out of the spotlight, he still gets invited to sing at private functions and gives the occasional public performance.

“I‘m not really interested in performing live, especially at big, outdoor concerts, because, for one thing, nobody is really interested to watch me. It‘s more likely that they go to have a laugh and see this old man perform,” added the 50-year-old.

Right now, Sohaimi is keen to ensure that his new album makes an impact since he self-funded the offering. At the time of the interview, he related that EMI Malaysia, his former label, is distributing Suatu Hari Nanti.

With the help of Sohaimi‘s younger brother and folk musician Meor Yusof Aziddin, who helped produce and record the album alongside Ariff Akhir who owns Purple Sound Productions in Kuala Lumpur, Sohaimi recorded his album within a few months.

Sohaimi, who is based in Ipoh, explained the song-writing and recording process.

“I‘ve had the melodies in my head and added poetic lyrics to them.”

His deep crooner‘s voice, described in Malay as suara jantan, suits the ballads and slow, sentimental tunes he writes. His new album couldn‘t have arrived at a better time as the songs deal with timeless issues like love, fasting and celebrating Hari Raya, the meaning of democracy, remembering one‘s wedding anniversary and a bit of patriotism, for good measure.

“The title track, Suatu Hari Nanti, is about the love between a husband and wife and Selamat Ulangtahun Perkahwinan Kita is about my wedding anniversary. I always forget and then my wife gets upset, so I thought I‘d write a song about it.

“Basically, I think my music is going to appeal to mature listeners. It‘s going to appeal to people who are looking for something different.”

There is also an acoustic version of Epilog Cinta Dari Bromley on the album and it‘s a nice throwback for listeners who are familiar with the song. For those who are not, it is a good opportunity to get acquainted with it.

Sohaimi is also very eager to promote the musical talents behind his album, especially flautist Mohar and songwriter and piano player, Prof Madya Khairil Johari Johar.

“You know, Mohar is such a well known and gifted musician and he‘s played with people like M. Nasir. On my album, you get to see a different side to his seruling (flute) playing. I feel the seruling complements the vocals very well, adding a traditional Malay touch to the songs.”

In the liner notes of Suatu Hari Nanti, Sohaimi said that there may not be another album from him again. Let‘s hope this affable veteran will change his mind after enthusiastic response to his comeback.

As the saying goes, quality never goes out of style.

Source: thestar.com.my (17 Oktober 2007)
-

Arsip Blog

Recent Posts