Malaysian singer opts for Indonesian pop sensibility

Jakarta - Amid the coarse intrigue between neighboring Indonesia and Malaysia in traditional songs` copyright and origin, an artist dares to combine artistic values between both countries yet still cite the origin of the intellectual copyrights.

Anuar Zain, a 37-year-old Malaysian male singer, did not hesitate to dig money out of his own pocket to satisfy his artistic desire: to have Indonesian arrangers set the foundation of his songs. "Enjoy Music Without Prejudice" is printed on the inner sleeve of his record.

The singer said that he wanted to make a unique album by leaving behind his Malaysian tone of his previous albums and presenting songs with authentic Indonesian pop songs.

"I really like Indonesian pop music with full string instruments and poetic lyrics and I wanted those kind of songs in my new album. Because of that, I worked with Indonesian composers and arrangers to perfect my album."

Zain, who reckoned that it was hard to find Malaysian singers to sing non-Malaysian songs in his country, said he would be the first singer to achieve that with his album.

Numerous Indonesian composers have worked on his release, which took an entire year to complete. "Almost all of the songs were arranged by Indonesian arrangers, such as Andi Rianto, Tohpati, Numata, Irwan Simanjuntak, and DJ Sumantri. Only one song was arranged by Malaysian arranger."

Zain said he chose those Indonesian musicians because of their great stature. "I had listened to several Numata`s songs and I fell in love with their songs, which have great melodies and lyrics."

He added that he was pleased to work together with creative and sincere Indonesian musicians. "They all worked for the songs` perfection, not only for the money. And they gave their best creativity in my album."

However, Zain also needed some time to build good relation with the neighboring musicians. "In the six-month introduction process, I had to come to Indonesia intensively to meet the composers and arrangers."

Zain had to spend much his own money to support his collection production. "Honestly, I have spent a lot of money for this album considering the participation of famous Indonesian composers and arrangers and it is all from my own wallet."

He added that the total money that he had allocated was in proportion to his collection`s quality. "The total of my album`s costs is not meaningful compared to my satisfaction for this album. I always want to make progress when I launch my new collection like now. I think this album is my best album so far despite the controversy of it in my country," Zain said.

"Malaysian people thought that I worked with Indonesian musicians because I didn`t trust Malaysian composers to accomplish this collection. But it is not true. Music is universal, so wherever it comes from, if it has a good quality, it must be appreciated."

His third album, which is his debut in Indonesia, will be released in January. Zain`s new album has sold 21.000 copies in Malaysia in two months.

"Firstly, I never thought to sell my album in Indonesia but when I worked with Numata, they told me that I had a chance to sell my album here. So I challenge myself to compete with Indonesian pop singers."

Zain expects his collection to be accepted by Indonesian pop fans despite all of the diplomatic quandary between Indonesia and Malaysia. "I have a selling target in Indonesia considering this album is my debut here. But I hope Indonesian pop enthusiasts will accept my creation."

He also commented on the tension between Indonesia and Malaysia regarding copyright issues. "I don`t take sides in this problem, but I think the copyright of a country`s culture is a sensitive thing and it should be settled in court."

Source: www.thejakartapost.com (24 Desember 2007)
-

Arsip Blog

Recent Posts