Strings of harmony

Kuala Lumpur - Fans of classical music are all abuzz and with good reason. Veteran Indonesian violin maestro Idris Sardi will be performing for two nights with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Istana Budaya Kuala Lumpur this weekend.

While his devotion to technique and the finer points of composition are legendary, Sardi is nonetheless a man who puts the spiritual element in music first.

Now 71, this one-time child prodigy has been playing the violin since the age of 6, when he picked it up from his father M. Sardi. He developed his talent so rapidly that he found himself playing first violin for the Orkes RRI (Radio Republik Indonesia) Jakarta when he was just 14. Despite a lengthy career that has seen him become Indonesia`s leading soundtrack composer and feted internationally for his skills on the violin, his devotion to his instrument is unwavering.

“I could never get tired of it,” he explained in an interview conducted largely in Bahasa Indonesia at the Istana Budaya earlier this week.

“Music is my life. Some people play music to earn a living but I live to play music.”

Indeed as Sardi speaks, he reveals music and religion to be the dual, intertwining pillars upon which he has based his life.

“Music is the language of feelings and emotions. To me, it is like a communication with God. His power allows me to tell a story to the music. I never perform without praying to God and thanking Him for His gift and I feel there is a greater power that propels me when I am performing.”

Such faith is partly responsible for the fact that the man who has flourished throughout the Sukarno, Suharto and post-Suharto eras in Indonesia, all of which had their turbulent moments.

“An artiste has a responsibility,” Sardi said. “I am not so influenced by circumstances. It is true we must always adapt, and a clever musician can read his audiences and know what they want to hear, but I perform from the heart.

“I see a concert as a chance to bring people together. To make them forget their differences and be as one. There are so many people in this world, with so many different viewpoints and aspirations that conflict is unavoidable, but I still try to make people as happy as possible.”

Dramatic reactions to his music are commonplace but Sardi takes it in his stride. “There are some who cry, some who faint. But I do not perform for the applause. I do not want to take the credit for a good performance. It is all a gift from God, and I am simply doing my duty.”

Sardi has recorded hundreds of soundtracks for Indonesian movies such as Pengantin Remaja (1971), Cinta Pertama (1974), Doea Tanda Mata (1985) and Pacar Ketinggalan Kereta (1990). However, when asked about his recording career he is dismissive.

“I can tell you of all the recordings I have made, not one has satisfied me. When you record, you lose something. Take one, take two, take three. The power of the music is lost. I need to communicate with an audience for the music to fully develop.”

Sardi is known as an exacting master, but he reserves his harshest criticisms for himself. “When I play badly, I am embarrassed. Sometimes an audience will be clapping happily, but I am so ashamed because I know when I made mistakes.”

Arguably his most famous pupil is Maylaffayza Wiguna, seen as Indonesia`s answer to Vanessa Mae as she has mixed both classical skill with a sensual image. When asked his views on Maylaffayza`s progress, Idris declined to answer directly. He did say, however, that “many people learn from Idris Sardi, but not each person is the same.

“I never did it for money or fame. I take money for performances because it is just, but I have never taken money for teaching children. Others have a different view. They learn the skills but their motive is to become famous and make money.”

Thrice married, Sardi is the father of six, including celebrities Santi Sardi and Lukman Sardi. However, he is not one to indulge in much talk of his personal life. “I can tell you that I have sacrificed so many things in life for my music. When I was young, I loved football, but I couldn`t play because of the danger of injury to my hands.

“As a small child, I would wake up at five in the morning to practice finger positions for the violin. My father told me that to play the violin you must not just have talent, you must be a fanatic.”

Despite such a lengthy career, this weekend actually makes Sardi`s debut as a public performer in Malaysia.

“I have done private shows for royalty before, and I came to Malaysia in the 60s, but this is my first public performance. I want to help strengthen ties between people in this region which is rich in culture.

“When I was younger, Malaysia had an extremely talented violinist called Hamzah Dolmat, but his name is not so celebrated nowadays. I want to impress upon young people that while you can learn Western classical skills, you will go further if you understand your own culture and put that into your music.”

Idris Sardi will be performing with the National Symphony Orchestra at the Panggung Sari Istana Budaya, Jalan Tun Razak at 8.30pm on April 19 and 20. Also performing is ethnic music duo Mohram. Tickets are priced at RM30, RM50, RM70, RM100, RM150 and RM200. For details call 03-41498600

Source: www.star-ecentral.com (18 April 2008)
-

Arsip Blog

Recent Posts