`Abang-None` pageant not just a show of pretty faces

Jakarta - An article printed in the City section of this newspaper on July 8, with the title "`Abang`, `None` just pretty faces", really intrigued me.

First of all, I would like to thank the writer for watching the finals of the Abang-None (Mister and Miss) Jakarta pageant for the past six years without fail. It is indeed an entertaining show, but I believe it is not something to laugh at.

I could not agree more with some of the statements in the article, but I would like to take you beyond what is visible to the public.

As a former None, I can truly say the Abang-None competition has given me many experiences that no amount of money could have bought.

I understand why people perceive Abang and None as mere accessories to important events. After all, the public only sees us standing at front doors, welcoming guests with bright smiles and guiding government officials to and from their seats.

Besides, the only part of the competition available to public viewing is the final night. The ensuing activities never attract the attention of the press. Thus, who can blame some people for underestimating the pageant?

Let me go beyond that. To be truthful, I have learned many lessons from this pageant.

First of all, I learned about Betawi culture and grew to appreciate it. I now admire traditional Betawi dances, dishes and outfits, all of which I had previously never taken any notice of.

Second, as I have the ability to communicate well in public, as well as a firm knowledge of Jakarta`s history, I am able to promote the city when I am abroad. I am able to answer when foreigners ask me: "What is there to do in Jakarta?"

Jakarta is a capital city like no other. It offers a fantastic range of interests; from traditional markets to luxurious shopping malls; from public entertainment venues to exclusive nightclubs; from street food stalls to fine dining; from the captivating and historical Old Town to the Thousand Islands for those seeking a quick escapade away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It has something for everyone.

I wouldn`t have known any of these things if it weren`t for the Abang-None pageant. The way I see it, the pageant produces culturally aware young people who are highly appreciative of Betawi culture. As is plain to see in Jakarta, our cultures have begun to be buried beneath a tide of modernization.

I strongly disagree with those who say Abang and None are comparable to door-to-door grocery vendors or ondel-ondel.

What a degrading statement. Are we really so bad? I believe not.

Our significant contributions to the city have gone largely undocumented. We have conducted city tours in Old Town for students coming from various municipalities within Jakarta, we have offered free English classes to less fortunate students, we have helped people in need and we have come up with brilliant ideas to improve Jakarta.

However, Jakarta`s problems, given the city`s complexity, cannot be solved in a day. It will take time and effort, not just from the government of Jakarta, but also from its citizens.

I believe improvements can be made if we care enough to make positive changes. I do believe, and I have a strong desire to make Jakarta a better place to visit, and a better place to live.

Thank you, Abang-None Jakarta pageant for making me part of a young generation that cares.

Audrey Progastama Petriny

Source: http://old.thejakartapost.com (July 16, 2008)
-

Arsip Blog

Recent Posts